While I was at the Dallas Morning News last week, helping people deal with the buyouts, one of the editors asked me, "What do journalists do when they leave the business?"
My own experience over the past year has been to see the dissolution of Knight Ridder, a company I worked with for almost 23 years. Here's where some of its top executives went:
- Hilary Schneider, senior VP at KR: senior VP of classified advertising at Yahoo!
- Steve Rossi, senior VP and CFO with KR: executive VP and COO with MediaNews
- Larry Olmstead, VP of staff development and diversity at KR: founded his own consulting company, LeadingEdge
- Paula Ellis, VP of operations at KR: VP/national and new initiatives at the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation
- Bryan Monroe, assistant VP for news at KR: VP and editorial director of EBONY and JET magazines